Food and Fashion!

ingredientes-para-preparar-chimichurri tortillaspaellaweird-fashion

Sometimes food and fashion meet apparently! These photos are all representative of the current and future explorations of Quest Academy Spanish students.

Sixth graders have been discussing school items and actions. They had an exciting day this week when they could ask me to do ANYTHING and I had to say YES! This is affectionately known as “YES DAY” and is coveted by all students alike. Dance parties were had, parents were called and one student scored a big pile of colones just by asking for them! Sixth graders also read a story and watched a Señor Wooly classic entitled ¿Puedo ir al baño? The story was a nice way to learn vocab and structures from the song. The students also got to take a break from their own story creation that they engaged in last week. In these hilarious student made stories, Hillary Clinton danced with a zombie, Donald Trump got robbed and Nicolas Cage was caught hiding his friend’s backpack in the ladies’ room.  Yes, we have fun in Spanish class. In the week to come, the fun continues with another Señor Wooly video and a tortilla tasting! YUM!

Seventh graders have been studying food and Spanish culture. As a culminating exercise, they will translate a paella recipe and head to Eurofresh to capture ingredients for their dish. They will also prepare some useful expressions they may need to ask for help while hunting for the items on their shopping list. These students are also wrapping up Unit 11 and will move on to Unit 12 which, happily, continues their study of food vocab and helpful expressions.

Eighth graders have taken part in numerous storytelling and movie experiences in their pursuit of mastering clothing vocab and structures related to shopping and wearing clothes. They watched a spooky animated short about a doll shop and then watched a spooky Señor Wooly video complete with aliens and more creepy dolls! This past week, they have been preparing for a culminating exercise in which they will describe a partner during a fashion show. They must complete a look according to a theme as well as describe their partner’s look head to toe. They will take part in a live fashion show later in the week. This was a favorite experience for many of my French students over the years, and as with so many other experiences, this is my first Spanish class to pave the way for my Brave New Spanish World! In the midst of their fashion preparations, the eighth graders will take a break to continue their exploration of the food and culture of Argentina. I won’t give away the surprise but look for a freshly prepared marinade to come home this week!